Do you love books? Have you ever benefited from the services of the Key West Library? Do you believe in the essential role a vibrant library has on our community? Do you enjoy having fun with other book and literary lovers? If you answered yes to any of these questions, we invite you to get involved with the Friends.
There are numerous ways to support the Friends both financially and in donations of your time and expertise:
- Become a Member– As a member you pay an annual membership fee at the level of your choosing. 100% of our member’s dues go directly to the library. Member dues help pay for books, programs, and services that make our library an incredible resource to Key West. You will also enjoy exclusive member benefits like early access to tickets to our annual gala and advance notification of Friends events including book sales and our renowned speaker series through our newsletter and exclusive member emails.
- Make a Financial Donation– We gratefully welcome donations, gifts, and bequests outside of membership dues. These donations help in the expansion of library operations, services, book inventory, and program development. We are a 501(c)(3) organization. To make your tax deductible donation on our website please visit our donation page by clicking here. If you would like to earmark your donation for specific projects or purposes please reach out to us directly to discuss this further by filling out our contact form.
- Used Book Donation– Our used book sales are one of our largest and most successful fundraisers. We welcome book donations that meet these guidelines: current books published between 2000-2023, in the categories of fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, “coffee table” art books, and children’s books. Please bring the books that meet these guidelines to the front circulation desk at the library. For a complete list of used books and materials the Friends do and do not accept please click here.
- Rare Book Donation– In 2022 we launched our latest fundraising effort selling some of the amazing rare books that have been donated to us. It started with a silent auction at our 2022 gala and has evolved into an ebay store. If you have a rare book you’d like to donate, please bring it to the front circulation desk at the library. We thank you!
- Volunteer– Whether you are in Key West a month or two, or live here year round, the Friends can use your help. No prior experience is necessary; the staff or another volunteer will train you. Friends collect and sort books for our book sales, staff the speaker series and gala, and help with library programs as requested. To find out more, visit our volunteer page.
- Join the Board– Our board of directors consists of volunteers elected to three year terms. Each of our board members brings a love for the library and a vast array of professional experience. Composed of people who feel a strong commitment to serve the mission of the Friends, members of our board lean on their expertise and passion to guide the organization toward fulfilling its mission. Board members participate in monthly board meetings, and chair and serve on committees. To inquire about joining the board or any other volunteer position, click here.
- Become A Sponsor– We pride ourselves on prudent stewardship and fiscal responsibility. All membership dues and donations go directly to the support of the library. This means that we rely exclusively on our generous sponsors to help offset the costs associated with our fundraising activities and events that benefit the library. To learn more about becoming a sponsor click here.